Thursday, February 24, 2005

Magic Birthday

So can someone please explain to me what magic happens on my 30th Birthday that makes my insurance premium drop $600? That's almost 50%! What the heck is that? I mean, I'll welcome it with open arms, but I'm just not sure what will change between the time I go to bed on June 8th this year and awake on June 9th. Will I even recognize myself in the mirror anymore? Will Leslie still love me? Man, I wasn't too worried about this 30th Birthday thing before but now...I don't know. Do the insurance companies know something that I don't? Is it a rite of passage?

And why is the magic birthday 27 for women? Why does the magic work at different ages for different sexes?

I must noodle this.

2 comments:

Ben said...

It's the same reason that people with good grades get good car insurance rates: they don't have a life so they're less of a risk. Since you will obviously be 50% less risky than you are at 29, 30-year-olds are 50% cheaper to insure.

Dave said...

Statistics. Nuttin' more. They have numbers that say (statistically) people over thirty cost them less money, and so they charge less. To me, this one seems more rational than "you've turned 21 so you're all of a sudden responsible enough to drink."