Monday, August 04, 2008

Ok vs Fine

When someone asks you 'how are you doing' and things aren't super peachy, do you answer with Ok or Fine?

One of the interesting things I've picked up about myself is the different situations I answer with either one or the other. It seems to me that when I'm less than 100% and I don't want to talk about it or try to hide it I'll say that I am fine. However, if I am less than 100% but don't mind people knowing about it or I'm not trying to suppress it I'll say ok. Actually, I think it is more that when I'm trying to convince myself I'm great I'll say fine, when I accept things aren't awesome I'll say ok.

I once heard that Fine stood for Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional. I think that really sums up the situations it is used more often than not.

The words we use and the contexts we use them in can tell a lot about your mood and the way you handle situations. I think it is really fascinating.

No comments: