Saturday, September 06, 2008

Quotes I Now Understand

I like quotes, particularly the more profound ones. They offer little bits of wisdom very concisely. The thing about them is that, in my experience, you need to have some basis of experience to know what they are talking about. It is more like a concise way to sum up an experience rather than a way to warn or educate.

In any case, here are a few that I realized recently that I now understand where before I just thought I had an idea of what the quote was talking about or, in the case of the second one, was really puzzled about.

"Beauty often seduces us on the way to truth"
"It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved before"
"BOAT means Bet On Another Thousand"
"The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day the boat is purchased and the day the boat is sold"

2 comments:

CMS said...

I also love quotes. Good thought on the experience area though. May not be true for all.

One quote I love,"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" E. Roosevelt

Ryan said...

Ya, that is a good one too.

Another one I always liked was:
Some dude: 'Life is hard.'
Voltaire: 'Compared to what?'

:)