Thursday, June 30, 2005

General Principal

I have a habit for latching onto things and not letting go do to something I can General Principal.

Basically, something will come along, such as the movie Titanic, and I'll decide to take a position on it based on general principal. In Titanic's case, I refuse to watch it based on Generel Principal. See how that works?

Some other examples:

1) Not flying for five years. I probably would have been up to flying two years after my sabatical began, but I waiting for give years on General Principal. In fact, I wanted to wait until Dear Leader was no longer in office, but the American people decided to screw themselves for four more years.

2) I refuse to have a North Carolina or West Virgina mailing address, regardless of the deals available in those areas. North Carolina because of Duke and North Carolina Univeristy. Cheaters. West Virgina because of the stigma attached to it...that, a no building regulations what-so-ever.

3) Nine to five jobs. Not only would I probably shrival away and die if I had to work on one of these, I won't even try due to general principal. I have worked nine to five jobs in the past and for the industry I'm in it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Some position require such time frames, but more creative jobs I think are constrained by such arbitary constructs (yay big words).

That's all that is coming up right now. I guess you could toss some political views I am holding right now in there. I've adopted some mostly because I feel like I have to move more left to offset the nutcases on the right. Historically I have been a moderate.

So what kind of things have you latched on to and maintained out of a sense of general principal?

5 comments:

Ben said...

I wish I had the luxury of general principle when it came to Titanic. Once Michelle finds a chick flick she likes, I'm stuck with it. 7 frickin' times in the theater. That's almost an entire day of my life spent in the theater watching that movie. Ouch.

I will not eat mushrooms out of general principle. There's just something about eating fungus that bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, how many hours/days do you think Ben has spent watching Star Wars? Dare I ask? I'm not sure one day was enough for him to gain an appreciation for the movie, perhaps he needs more exposure to it to truly appreciate it ;)

I guess my general principal is make Ben watch Titantic until he appreciates it ;)

Ryan said...

I don't think its possible to appreciate that movie.

Anonymous said...

Another principal would be to make Ryan watch the movie before he judges it....

Ryan said...

Shea...thats not a general principal...that's too logically to qualify.