Thursday, June 30, 2005

Who Won The Pot?

Leslie and I have had an epic relationship. Over 14 years we had really good times and really lousy times. We broke up and got back together. We traveled all over the country and lived together. By all measures except the law we might as well have been married. I've spent literally half my life with her and her with me and I will never regret it. It all came to a mutually decided end several weeks ago in front of a campfire in central Virigina and we are both satisfied with the result.

Basically, what it boils down to is after lots and lots of money, work, and love we finally figured out that we couldn't deal with the small things and differences that came between us. We have too much history that creeps up when we try to address some major issues and the silly every day things as well. As a result, we have decided that we will be much better friends than lovers. We both still very much love each other but it has transcended what it was and has grown much deeper. Formalizing this doesn't really change our relationship from the way it's been over the past five months. We still hang out and do everything we were doing, we just can see other people now. In fact, Leslie is already dating someone else and I hope he can treat her the way I could not.

As for me, I'm going to let things happen as they will. I'm not going to actively seek out anyone but I'm going to put my self in situation to meet to new people and see what happens. If anything develops I'm certainly not going to shut it down.

In the end I'm just curious, who won the pot? :)

3 comments:

Ben said...

I don't know about any betting pool, but Michelle and I were talking about this this very morning on the way to work. We knew that you weren't living together anymore and hadn't been for a while. We didn't want to ask and either seem stupid or bring up something potentially painful.

I'm glad to hear that it all ended peacefully. Given some of your history (much of which I've gotten to witness), it could have gotten messy.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear this but I knew that you two had stopped living together. I am sure everything will work out for the best. I am glad that you are remaining close friends. I consider both of you very good friends and I am glad that we can all still stay close. I have friends here in the city that dated for a while. The relationship ended badly and now we can only hang out seperately. Anyway, I hope to see you both this fall at the Ren fair!! I will definetly be coming down this year.

-Kris

Silent Joe said...

Yes, its always sad to see friends "break up" even though you didnt really "break up". On the good side, you both have your whole future now opened up for a different path. And... I have a single friend to go hang with now.. All you other dubasses are married. :p