Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Surprise in the Night

Almost exactly one year ago we had a jail break at the house. Misfit pushed the screen out of the window and he, Mimic, and Moonshine got out. It happened while we were away for the day, when we returned there was no Moonshine. We searched the neighborhood and put up flyers all over the place. We checked with the SPCA and the local vet's, but nothing turned up. For about a month we received phone calls of people seeing similiar cats but it always turned out to be a different cat. We even went so far as to purchase a relatively cheap motion sensitive camera and installed it outside and put food under it, so we could find out if she was coming to the door at night to get the food. Ultimately she never returned, and we decided she was gone.

Every once in a while I would have a dream about finding her or her coming back. I know its just a cat, but it was open ended, and that bothered me. Over time it faded but still popped up from time to time.

Last night I was talking on the phone with Leslie about how her 4th of July went. I guess the lightning storm was messing up the signal with one of our phones so I went outside and walked up and down the sidewalk. At some point during our conversation I noticed a cat meowing at me and wondering around. I got near it and it ran away a little bit. Ever since Moonshine left whenever I would run into a similiar looking cat I would try to get close, just in case. I played the 'catch me' game with this one for about 15 minutes before finally catching it, almost gave up twice. Well, upon closer inspection the cat was silver and quite thin, it had some cuts and a lot burs, so obviously has been outside for a while. This one looked closest to Moonshine I had seen so I grabbed and took it inside and up to my room for closer inspection.

Turns out, unless both Leslie and I are nuts, Moonshine came back. A thiner Moonshine, but Moonshine. She has the same mannerisms, the tail that can lay flat on her back, the weird thing she does with her paw, the pur machine as soon as you look like you are going to touch her, etc. And, most telling, she seemed right at home in this house.

In a nutshell, a cat that escaped from the house and ran away because she was scared found her way back almost exactly one year later. How kick ass is that?

4 comments:

Ben said...

Yay! I love happy endings!

Anonymous said...

Nice name for a "cat". :-)

Ryan said...

Leslie's fauly. She was thinking about, literally, the shine of the moon since the cat is a light grayish color. She wasn't aware of what moonshine was at the time.

Turns out, it fits the cat rather well. She is as dumb as a brick and does some rather drunk things.

Anonymous said...

all too appropriate.