Saturday, January 08, 2005

Adventures in German Cuisine

Alrighty, for those of you that don't know I enjoy cooking from time to time, and I think I'm rather good at it. Hard to be from a family with southern roots and not pick up something.

Anyway, I have a Water Smoker for making kick-ass Pulled Pork and two other grills, one propane (which is going to go soon) and one charcoal. Really big into the whole grilling thing.

However, cooking indoors is fun too and nothing beats Cast Iron. I have this 4 qt. Cast Iron pot that I make my Mad Cow Chilli in...yum...chilli. And for X-mas I received a 7 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven that I asked for so I could make the best German dish ever...Sauerbraten! Making a few changes but more-or-less following that one there.

Anyway, I started it on Wednesday and will be finally cooking it tomorrow. This evening I seasoned the Dutch Oven in preparation for the three hour cooking tomorrow. I will also be preparing some garlic mashed potatoes and red cabbage to go with it...mmmm...

Now, I found out something disturbing when I went to purchase the meat. In case you didn't know, its something like $13/lb for a cow's ass (rump roast). That's an expensive dinner...man, I better not screw this one up. :)

I'll post about how it goes this weekend.

6 comments:

Ben said...

Hmmm. That sounds yummy. We must get together some time this summer for some more beer can chicken. If I can ever squeeze that perfect marinade out of my brain again, maybe we could do a dual grilling: you with your chicken and I with my steak.

James said...

I have become more intrigued with German food over the past couple of years. Unfortunately, my father is a very picky eater, so we never had a lot of diversity in our meals when I was growing up. I don't think I knew there was more to Mexican food than beef tacos until I was in high school! Anyway, I had an excellent experience at the Bavarian Inn in Sheperdstown, WV about a year ago. I had the jaegerschnitzel, which is veal steak with a wild mushroom sherry sauce. Now, one of the things that has always turned me off to German cuisine has always been my aversion to sauerkraut. I remember always hating it growing up. However, I discovered a few months ago, after having a Reuben at Ron's in Hagerstown, that I actually like the stuff! Obviously my taste buds have matured over the years. So, I'm looking forward to future adventures in German food. Anyway, Ryan, if you're ever interested in meeting up for dinner at Schmankerl Stube, let me know!

Ryan said...

I thought I posted how it turned out, must have dreamed it. It came out GREAT! The only thing I tried to screw up was the gravy when I put flour directly into it, instead of mixing it with water first. However, my roommate was there to save the day and de-clump it, so it turned out fine.

Anyway, I've always loved sauerkraut and its an integral part to German food, as you mentioned Jamie. Although, with this meal I did red cabbage, which is very good as well. Actually, its rather similiar to sauerkraut in taste. Changes are, if you like one you will like the other.

Regarding the Smackemstupid (Schmankerl Stube), I'm game whenever you are. I LOVE that place.

Ryan said...

Ben, do you like pulled pork with North Carolina Sauce? You gotta try mine. Its heavenly, if I must say so myself. I slow cook the pork on the smoker for 8+ hours and make the sauce and coleslaw myself. So yummy.

Ben said...

Oh yes. I remember that little corner store by you (the one you pass on the way to Leesburg Pike) having great pulled pork sandwiches. I'm not too keen on the sauerkraut, but I love the pork.

My Uncle John does barbeque events for money. He's got a portable grill that he made from an old boiler or something. It looks much like my grill but several times larger. It's on wheels and it attaches to a towing hitch. And let me tell you, the stuff he makes is to die for.

Ryan said...

So when do I get to meet you Uncle? :)

That little place you refer to has two of those trailers your Uncle has in front of it. They are smoking stuff every day of the week. I love Ashburn.

When I get a bigger place I want to get a full blown smoker, maybe not quite that big but once I can do true indirect smoking. The water smoker is for moist smoking, while an indirect smoker allows you to do things like dry ribs and stuff...yummy.

As far as the coleslaw goes, I guarantee you have never had the kind of coleslaw I make. It is seasoned with the same stuff the sauce that goes on the sandwhich is made with, not your typical mayonaise-based coleslaw sauce.