Monday, January 31, 2005

There Is No Tomorrow

If this doesn't scare the crap out of you, nothing will.

By no means should you take this all word-for-word. Research it. Check it out for yourselves. He does a good job articulating my issues with theology and ideology when it crosses from the deeply personal to the public.

Bill Moyers, while liberal, is fair and beats up both sides of the aisle. He puts a lot of research into the details and they come through. The rapture index has been around for a while and there are a lot of people that believe it hook, line and sinker. I've run into a few of them, people I respect but don't understand how they buy this crap.

Must...resist...rant.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Hmm, let's see. Once all of these bad things start happening, the end of the world is at hand. So let's speed things up, shall we?

Scary indeed.

There's a reason that I don't discuss religion with my mother-in-law. It ends up being some 'end of the world' sermon. She told Michelle and I that if we voted for Kerry that we were '...going to hell because he is pro-abortion...' And she's an edcuated person. A bit on the niave side from time to time, but a smart woman. Yet she will not read The DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons because her minister told her not to.

Scary.

Ryan said...

Never heard of that last book, I'll have to check it out.

It amazes me how such smart people can be blinded so fully. Very frustrating.

Regarding abortion, does she support the death penalty? That always didn't ring true to me. Pro-Life = Pro-Death penalty. Someone came up with a better name for Pro-Life that I think fits better, Pro-Birth.

Anyway, another topic for another day.

Ben said...

Angels and Demons is by the same author, Dan Brown, and was released before The DaVinci Code. Same main character, same type of story (Harvard symbologist + a few 'allies' vs. world organization). AaD has a different 'flavor' than tDC in that it's more 'science vs. religion' than two competing versions of a religion. The description of anti-matter explosions is very fascinating. I highly recommend it.

BTW: Gimme a call about the superbowl party. JMc will definately not be coming and I may not be coming.