Saturday, January 08, 2005

My 24,000 Mile Commute

So I work from home. As someone that works from home, I've always enjoyed topics of conversation that revolve around commutes. I let everyone talk about who has the worse one and kinda try to out-do each other, and then I mention that I have a 14 step commute. Good lovin.

However, on further review, I have realized I have at least a 24,000 mile commute each year. Ouch! Here's why:

The company I work for, TADOnline is a telecommuting company; meaning there is no central office - everyone works from home. Thus the 14 step commute. The problem is that out of the six company executives, I am the only one that lives on the east coast. Everyone else lives in the Pacific Northwest, mostly around Seattle. As an Executive Board we feel we should meet face-to-face at least once a quarter, which means I have to get my butt out to Seattle every three months. Its about 6000 miles round trip, x4 = 24,000 mile commute.

It just so happens that I will be leaving on one of these trips to the country on the 14th of this month. I will be gone for two weeks, staying at the CEO's 'guest cottage on the lake'. While I'm there I will be visiting a bunch of different places in Washington State and Oregon checking the areas out for the possiblity of a move that direction in the next year or so. More on that as it develops.

Anyway, I'm taking the train out there for a number of reasons, flying issues amoung them (more about that in a later post). I'm actually looking forward to the trip. I will NOT be bringing a laptop and will not be working on the three day journey, which will be a welcome break. In order to break-up the bordem I purchased a MadCatz TFT Active Matrix Portable LCD and will be bringing the XBox along, as well as my XM Radio. My plan is to do nothing at all except read, listen to XM, play video games and watch movies for three days. Ahh...heaven.

5 comments:

Ben said...

I haven't taken the train for a long trip since our 5th grade trip to Disney. It was a much shorter trip to Florida than to Seattle, but I remember it being fun.

I have to agree that there is something to be said for taking the train. It's a nice, slow pace. A trip where the travelling is (hopefully) just as relaxing as the destination.

James said...

I've traveled from the Baltimore area to NYC by plane, train, and automobile. Hands down, taking Amtrak is by far the most convenient, relaxing, and stress-free way to go! By car, traffic is always an unpredictable variable, and if you travel from Baltimore, there are about a billion tolls you have to pay (it's not so bad from Hagerstown). By plane, you have all the security stuff, showing up at the airport early, flights being cancelled, luggage being lost, etc. crap to deal with. Plus, what sucks about air travel to NYC in particular is that the two major airports are out on Long Island. Amtrak drops you off at Penn Station right in midtown Manhattan. Plus, for a tall drink of water like myself, it's nice that on the train you can get up and walk around without fighting the beverage cart. :-)

Ryan said...

If you have never had the opportunity to take the train overnight in a sleeper, you should do it. Its a good time, plus the meals are free. :)

I get my own little room with a bed and such, including electral outlets! :)

James said...

We're considering a trip to Disney World in the fall, and we're thinking that driving would be better than flying (especially with a little one), but maybe I should look into the auto train. Seems like that might be the most convenient way to go!

Ryan said...

Leslie took the autotrain twice. Its basically the same thing I take but has a couple of train cars for people cars. Get a sleeper! Trust me.