Thursday, January 20, 2005

First Impressions

I've been to the Pacfic Northwest quite a few times over the past few years, but have not been in a position to really soak it in like I am now. There are certainly differences between the coasts, so I thought I'd relay some of them to you all that I have noticed.

The Seattle area is very health concious. Lots of health food stores and organic places, particularly the island. Seems like a slower way of life than the DC area too, which is a good thing.

The weather in the winter in more mild, no doubt. Lot's of rain though. Oh, that reminds me of another tale. Lance (the CEO) has that seasonal depression thing. They used to spend half the year in San Diego and the other half on the island. Well, moving to the island has been rough, but there are solutions in the form of artifical daylight. Otherwise known as full spectrum lights. These things come with tons of warnings. They have all kinds of side effects if you OD on them, and its real easy to OD. For example, he had crushing head aches for the first week he used them, but now they make all the difference in the world. Well, yesterday, before I knew about all the possible side effects, I turned the big one they have on down in his office to play around with it. About 15 minutes later my head was in the toilet and was sweating through my shirt in this nasty cold sweat. Ick.

Anyone, back to impressions. The thing that is most striking to me is the difference in the trees and such. They tend to be much taller and thinner, branches starting higher in the tree. You end up with the apperance of a lot more clean space under the trees. Not as much foilage. Very green.

When Leslie and I were out here in the summer in 2001 it was really clear and beautifull. The tempature is pretty mild year round and, most importantly, no humidity! Yay!

Mt. Rainer can be seen from their place, here is a picture of it from the deck right in front of the guest cottage:

I'll take more pictures and put them up soon.

Next week, on Tuesday, I'll be heading towards Portland for a few days to meet with my staff and to start searching some areas for a possible move by Leslie and I. The area we are looking at (for those of you with your Oregon maps handy), is south east of Portland, between Sandy and Mt. Hood left to right and the Columbia river and Bend top to bottom. We need to find some acreage (roughly 20 or so) and high speed internet...should be a challenge.

More later.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Great picture. Shrink it though, it's mucking your page up.

I can certainly understand why he would want to spend half the year in San Diego. Both times I went there I was really amazed by how beautiful it is. I need to take Michelle out there some time.

Ryan said...

I don't have any software on this to shrink it, so deal. :)

James said...

You don't need to shrink it to resize it on the page. Just add width and height attributes to the img tag and make your dimensions smaller but proportionate to the original size. Assuming it's a 6x4 pic, do something like width="300" height="200". That should do the trick and no software required!

Ryan said...

Oh right.

Duh. I have to stop updating this in the middle of the night when my brain stops working.